Monday, June 11, 2012

Chocolate Almond Banana Biscuit-wich (gluten-free, refined sugar-free)


This was a tasty afternoon treat for my kids and I. I set them up a picnic outside with a simple trail mix on the side. We all loved it (especially me)! I know it looks like dessert, but it can actually be eaten for lunch!


This recipe was inspired by a recipe by Chocolate Covered Katie, and if you haven't checked out her page yet, you really need to. She posts such good, and also healthy, recipes!!

Chocolate Almond Banana Biscuit-wich

Serves 4

Coconut Flour Biscuits
1/3 cup coconut flour
3 tbsp butter, softened

2 tbsp coconut oil, softened
1 1/2 tbsp agave nectar
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
dash of salt

1. Preheat oven to 400 F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
2. Mix all ingredients in medium bowl with an electric mixer. 
3. Form 8 biscuits on your baking sheet, using your hands to shape them into 1/2 inch thick circles.
4. Bake 11-14 minutes until slightly brown.

Chocolate Banana Almond Butter
3 tbsp almond butter
1 1/2 tbsp hazelnut butter (you can sub a different nut butter, but this is my favorite)
1/2 large ripe banana (keep the other half for the sandwich)
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp agave nectar or honey
pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together in a blender, food processor, or just mash and stir it all together by hand. You can store extras in the fridge for a few days.

Assembly
a few strawberries, sliced
other half of the banana, sliced

Spread both sides of the biscuits with the butter mixture, then place sliced strawberries and bananas on both sides. Put them together and eat!!


Trail Mix
If you were interested in what I used for my simple trail mix, here's what I put together (my 2 year old ate it, but my 4 year old wouldn't:

raisins
carob chips
sunflower seeds (no shells)
pumpkin seeds
almond slivers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Links to More Posts